KidsU is a growing Accredited Early Childhood Learning Institute in Calgary and Strathmore guided by our Core Values of Knowledge, Innovate, Development, Service and Upliftment. For children in the ages zero to six, we offer best-in-class child care as well as preschool and kindergarten programs that build experiences and influence the development of executive functions. Our curriculum is backed by scientific research and this approach prioritizes how a child learns instead of what they learn.
Our classrooms are modeled by the Montessori Method and look to normalize and develop the child in light-filled spacious rooms that promote learning at an age when children are able to absorb everything and are beginning to form their personalities. Our programming for this age group focuses on independence, confidence and self-help skills, which prepare the children for the Casa Classroom.. As a Lead Teacher with the younger children, the emphasis is on practical life and sensorial activities where children have the opportunity to enhance their fine and gross motor abilities, concentration and visual acuity. The activities set the foundation for future learning.
As we elevate our programs at each campus we will hand pick the most passionate and experienced educators in this pivotal role. Our central curriculum team works alongside our Lead Teachers to inspire, develop, and support them in the classroom to enhance their Montessori practice in alignment with our program.
This post is for our West 85th campus location - 8560 8A Ave SW #430, Calgary, AB T3H 1T1
- To plan, implement and document a Montessori program for the younger aged children in a respectful, loving and caring environment
- Monthly/Weekly curriculum planning and lesson planning in place.
- Provide the children with a prepared environment which includes making materials to support the individual needs within the classroom
- Plan individual and group activities to stimulate growth of the executive functions skills - cognitive flexibility, working memory and inhibitory control.
- Interact with children and initiate proper social behavior, grace and courtesy
- Supervise the children at all times, ensuring a safe environment inside the classroom and outdoor programming
- Daily reporting and record-keeping - attendance, allergy, medication, communication logs
- Maintain up-to-date emergency cards, attendance, and health and safety checks
- Participate and interact in team meetings and workshops
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as required from time to time
Preferred Experience, Qualifications and Attributes:
- Bambini Montessori Diploma (AMI / MACTE Accredited Training) or NAMC's Early Childhood Montessori Diploma Program
- Alberta Child Care Certification (Child Development Worker or Child Development Supervisor)
- Current First Aid Certification and Clear Criminal Record
- An Academic Degree from a recognized College or University
- At least 5 years of teaching experience within a Bambini Montessori Environment
- Knowledge, interest and a passion for the Montessori Method for our young learners
- Able to fully implement the Montessori curriculum and demonstrate understanding of Kids U philosophy and other environments.
- Positive attitude, enthusiastic, engaging and a passion for working with children
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, time management, problem solving skills and leadership abilities
- Excellent team management ability, classroom management, observations/assessment
- Ability to work effectively in a multicultural team
- Ability to lift a min. of 40 lbs especially when working with infants and toddlers
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and be able to communicate effectively with children, parents and colleagues
- You will be surrounded by the best-in-class Montessori educators and pedagogical leaders to share best practices and learn so as to enhance your class environment
- Professional Development Days focused around best practices in early childhood education and new, innovative ways of teaching and learning
- Annual Lead Teacher retreat focused on skills development
- Compensation based on education and experience
- Benefits include vision, dental, and paramedical services
- Tuition discounts on all child-care services for staff members, including full-time and part-time care, online education, summer camps and extracurricular activities
- Staff social committee focused on opportunities to make connections with other like-minded individuals and passionate educators through regular social functions, including an annual staff BBQ and Christmas party
Kids U is following all Alberta Health Protocols to ensure the health and safety of our children and employees.
If you are passionate about teaching children, and are driven by a desire to enhance early childhood education, Kids U is the place for you!
Kids U is an equal opportunity workplace and we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. We believe that a strong focus and commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make early childhood education an enabler for wide-reaching change. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.